Friday, February 4, 2011

When I Was Your Age...


...kid shows had normal titles.

So, my husband and I were new to the whole parenting thing, and our son was getting old enough to where we could let him watch a show here and there. We had no idea what age-appropriate shows were out there, so we DVR'd Blues Clues, knowing that we've seen it once or twice and could tolerate that for the time being.

Later, I decided to look on the TV Guide channel to see what shows were available for the pre-school age and I found myself just LAUGHING at the ridiculous titles there are!

Curious now? I have taken the time to list out all of the kid show names, clearly chosen after some substance abuse had taken place by a TV head-honcho somewhere!

-Team Umizoomi
-Yo Gabba Gabba
-Wow! Wow! Wubbzy!
-Pinky Dinky Doo
-Ni Hao, Kai Lan (I know this is Chinese, but still.)
-Bubble Guppies
-Zoboomafoo
-Caillou
-Rubbadubbers
-Noodle and Doodle

Really? What happened to "Tom and Jerry" or "Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood?" It's like the creators took the first nonsense word their infant muttered and turned it into the name of their new show. "Oh, how sweet! She said 'yo gabba gabba!' I'm inspired to create a new show for children!" I just don't get it.

In the meantime, our now Blue's Clue's obsessed toddler is deprived because he watches a show that is outdated and no longer has cool merchandise for sale. (it only comes on at weird times at night, but we keep it recorded thanks to DVR) He'll have to settle for homemade "handy-dandy notebooks" and accept that his teddy bear is the closest thing we can get to a stuffed "Blue." Oh well.

2 comments:

  1. Well, Caillou was always one of Emma, Libby's and now Marcus' favorites. It's really cute. The other names ? Weird. Just weird :+)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course there *was* Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles back in your day. :-)

    ReplyDelete