Saturday, July 18, 2009

Mmmmm Bop

I was jamming to music in the car today when I realized how incredibly dumb the lyrics were. Truth is, many of the songs I love to sing along to on the radio are this way. My husband informs me often about how "horrible" my taste in music is.

Actually, I think I have great taste in music. I just have 2 categories of favorites: one category is for music I like for their artistic and lyrical brilliance. The other category is simply music that I know is cheesy but I can't sit still or refrain from singing along when I hear it.

Today I will talk about the latter category. Here is my list of songs I am embarrassed to love, old and new:

"Work It" by Missy Elliot
"Toxic" by Britney Spears
"Mmm Bop" by Hanson (although I was never a Hanson fan beyond this song)
"The Sign" by Ace of Base (classic)
"Hollaback Girl" by Gwen Stefani (I will never forget how to spell 'bananas' now!)
"Complicated" by Avril Lavigne
"Black Horse & a Cherry Tree" by KT Tunstall (good song to belt out on a road trip)
"When I Grow Up" by the Pussycat Dolls (I'm sorry, the song is hilarious)
"Hey Ya!" by Outkast (Lend Me Some Suga, I AM Your Neighbor! Haha!)
"Any Man of Mine" by Shania Twain (Still my favorite karaoke song!)
"It's Gonna Be Me" by N'Sync
"Pop" by N'Sync
"Come on Over" by Christina Aguilera
"Stay" by Lisa Loeb
"I Want You" by Savage Garden
"Ironic" Alanis Morsette
"Wanna Be" by the Spice Girls (makes me think of going to the skating rink)
"Zombie" by the Cranberries
"Don't Speak" by No Doubt
"Shiny and Happy People" by R.E.M.
"Mo Money Mo Problems" by Notorious B.I.G, Puff Daddy, and Mace (I think?)
"Give Me One Reason" by Tracy Chapman
"Mambo #5" by Lou Bega (Cheesiest of the Cheesy)
"If" by Janet Jackson
"No Rain" by Blind Melon
"Mr. Jones" by Counting Crows
"Everybody" by the Backstreet Boys (although it's the only song by them I liked)
"Killin Me Softly" by the Fugees
"Here Comes the Hotstepper" by Ini Kamoze (This was 4th grade for me!)
"Conga" by Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine (I think I have some Hispanic blood in me)
"Bawitdaba" by Kid Rock
"Buttons" Pussycat Dolls (such a ridiculous song)
"London Bridge" by Fergie (such a ridiculous song)
"My Humps" by the Black Eyed Peas (a song dedicated to butts and boobs? SO dumb, yet amazingly catchy at the same time)
"Who Will Save Your Soul" by Jewel (spent many nights imitating Jewel's voice to this back in the day)
"Smooth" by Carlos Santana and Rob Thomas

And my most recent embarrassing favorites include...

"Boom Boom Pow" by Black Eyed Peas
"See You Again" by Miley Cyrus (although I can't stand the girl)

I'm sure there are many more, but these are the ones that come to mind. Maybe one day I'll redeem myself by blogging about all of my favorite songs that actually have meaningful lyrics, but not now. I choose to come out of the closet with my love of bad music. I'm ok with that.

And deep within all of you, there is a love for one or two of these songs as well, I just know it. And if not, I guarantee you one thing...you will close this window out with "Mmmmm Bop" stuck in your head. You are welcome.

Watch the MmmmBop Video Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment